GRID STEPGRID STEP
You can print out the base construction lines and start drawing on tracing paper or you can draw the grid layout yourself using the following steps…
1) At the top of the sheet, determine the location of the head and draw its conditional size using an oval.
2) Draw a vertical line through the middle of the right side of the head.
3) From the upper border of the head, draw upward a segment one-third the height of the head. This marks the upper boundary of the figure.
4) From the upper border of the head, draw downward seven segments equal to the height of the head and one segment equal to one-fifth the height of the head.
5) From the central vertical line of the figure, measure, and draw:
• One segment equal to the width of the head – to the left of the line.
• One segment equal to half the width of the head – to the left of the line.
• One segment equal to the width of the head – to the right of the line.
• One segment equal to half the width of the head – to the right of the line.
Through the boundaries of the segments, we draw vertical lines. The extreme left and right segments are the vertical boundaries of the drawing.
STEP 1 Mark off the width and height of the picture. Draw some basic lines denoting the proportions of the figure. Outline a shape for the head of the anime girl.
STEP 2 Outline the shape of the girl’s body and neck.
STEP 3 Add proportionate guidelines for her arms, legs and the features of her face.
STEP 4 Outline the shapes of her arms, hands, and legs.
STEP 5 Draw hair, a coat, a skirt, and shoes.
STEP 6 Outline the girl’s eyes, jacket lapels, bow, golf-stockings, shoe buckles, and fingers.
STEP 7 Work on the whole shape and figure, adding more details.
STEP 8 Contour, trying to vary the thickness and blackness of the line. Add some extra details and the ground around the anime girl. Erase all guidelines.